Climbing Rose BUSH (1 Plant) Ornamental, Outdoor
Ah, what a romantic devil 'Don Juan' is! Huge, fragrant red blooms dangle from vigorous canes, banked by glossy dark green foliage. Quickly reaching 10 to 12 feet tall and 5 feet wide, this is the climbing rose you want draped over the patio wall, twining up the arbor, or festooning a large trellis. No wonder it's considered the standard red climber, by which all others are judged (and found wanting!).
If you saw these 3- to 4-inch blooms without the plant, you'd probably assume they were exhibition-quality hybrid teas. Packed with 30 to 35 petals and boasting a true red hue that won't fade, they are superb cutflowers. And the sight of a fully-blooming vine is astonishing -- no tiny, short-lived blossoms here!
'Don Juan' blooms in summer, achieving the best color in areas where the nights are warm. If you live in a high-humidity climate, this is the climber you must have! But it's a fine northern performer too, hardy all the way through zone 5.
Plant 'Don Juan' in full sun and well-drained soil. The offspring of New Dawn x 'New Yorker,' it is a dependable and vigorous performer no matter where you live. If planting more than one for solid coverage, space 8 feet apart. Zones 5-10.
- Genus: Rosa
- Variety: 'Don Juan'
- Zone: 5 - 10
- Bloom Start To End: Early Summer - Late Summer
- Habit: Climbing
- Plant Height: 10 ft - 12 ft
- Plant Width: 5 ft
- Bloom Size: 3 in - 4 in
- Stem Length: 5 in - 10 in
- Additional Characteristics: Bloom First Year, Flower, Fragrance, Free Bloomer, Grafted
- Bloom Color: Red
- Bud Shape: Ovoid, Pointed
- Foliage Color: Dark Green, Glossy, Leathery
- Fragrance: Damask, Strong
- Light Requirements: Full Sun
- Moisture Requirements: Moist, well-drained
- Soil Tolerance: Normal, loamy
- Uses: Border, Cut Flowers, Ornamental, Outdoor, Vines and Climbers