Lobelia place white FLOWERS SEED , Ground Cover
- Early flowering series
- Compact plant habit
- Excellent for pots, baskets and borders
best used in hanging baskets, containers or window boxes which enable the flowering stems to cascade downward over the sides. In mixed basket/container plantings, stems can also be easily removed as they succumb to hot summer weather. Upright varieties are best for edging and bedding. A good plant for rock gardens or butterfly gardens.
Use a well-drained, disease-free, soilless medium with a pH 5.2 -5.8.
Grow at night temperatures of 12-15 °C (54-59 °F) and day 17 -20 °C (63-68 °F). After development of the roots temperature can be further decreased. Before selling harden the plants by decreasing the temperature to 6-8 °C (43-46 °F). Lobelia erinus does not tolerate frost.
Moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 150-200 ppm nitrogen, using a complete balanced fertilizer. Avoid high ammonium and high nitrogen levels. Wetness and cold medium temperatures are a cause for iron deficiency. The roots are sensitive to high salt levels in substrates. Avoid high fertilizer concentrations, it is advisable to fertilize several times with low concentrations weekly. Reduce fertilizer rate at the end of the crop to keep the plants compact.
- Season: Annual
- USDA Zones: 3 - 9
- Height: 4 - 5 inches
- Width: 6 inches
- Bloom Season: Summer through fall
- Bloom Color: White
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Environment: Full sun to partial shade
- Soil Type: Well-drained soil, pH 5.5 - 6.5
- Deer Resistant: Yes
- Temperature: 72F
- Average Germ Time: 14 - 21 days
- Light Required: Yes
- Depth: Press lightly into the soil but do not cover
- Sowing Rate: Approximately 5000 lobelia seeds covers 100 square feet or 12 seeds per plant
- Moisture: Keep soil slightly moist, but not wet until germination
- Plant Spacing: 6 inches