STRAWFLOWER SEEDS Yellow, annual
Xerochrysum bracteatum, syn. Bracteantha bracteata, syn. Helichrysum bracteatum monstrosum fl. pl.
- Strawflowers attract butterflies and are superb for cutting.
- Plants are easy to grow, heavy flowering, and tolerate heat and drought.
Strawflowers produce loads of vibrant, 2-3 inch papery, pompom-like flowers on well-branched, heavy blooming, 3-3.5 foot tall plants. Easy to grow, they tolerate both heat and drought. Known as an "everlasting" because the flowers will last indefinitely when dried.Plants flower over a long season.
Helichrysum (Helichrysum Bracteatum Yellow) - Popular for fresh bouquets and dried floral arrangements, Strawflower is an excellent addition to containers or sunny borders. It establishes readily from Helichrysum seeds, and from late spring to fall, Helichrysum Strawflower produces many double blooms in a broad range of colors. Strawflower thrives in areas with long, hot summers. Helichrysum flowers dry easily and retain their color for months or even years so they are called "everlastings." The daisy-like Strawflower, with its papery blooms, originated in Australia, where several of its relatives grow in the wild. Other names for Strawflower are Everlasting Daisy Helichrysum and Helichrysum Paper Daisy.
Many people like to get a jump start and will plant their Helichrysum seeds indoors, barely covering the seeds (light is needed for germination), 6 - 8 weeks before last frost. Choose a sunny, well-drained site, and set out young plants. You may also directly sow Strawflower seeds after danger of frost has passed, thinning seedlings to 18 inches apart. Pinch young plants to encourage branching. Deadhead spent blooms to encourage flowering. Remove Helichrysum plants after frost.
- Season: Annual
- USDA Zones: 3 - 10
- Height: 40 inches
- Bloom Season: Spring through fall
- Bloom Color: Yellow
- Environment: Full sun to partial shade
- Soil Type: Moist, well-drained, pH 6.6 to 7.5
- Deer Resistant: Yes
- Temperature: 72 - 76F
- Average Germ Time: 8 - 10 days
- Light Required: Yes
- Depth: Do not cover the seed but press into the soil
- Sowing Rate: 3 - 4 seeds per plant
- Moisture: Keep seed moist until germination
- Plant Spacing: 18 - 24 inches